If this is your first experience with us:
Please read this page for an understanding of what to expect.
Your body has the natural ability to heal itself! Massage therapy and bodywork are ancient healing tools that, when used therapeutically, benefit our immune systems by helping to relax and unwind tight muscles, unblock energy channels and reduce stress. Experts agree that anywhere from 80 to 90 percent of all disease is actually stress-related. Besides increasing relaxation, reducing pain, and decreasing anxiety, massage therapy lowers blood pressure, increases circulation, improves recovery from injury, improves sleep quality, reduces fatigue, increases your energy to handle stressful situations, and may even increase mental sharpness and concentration. These are just a few of the reasons why receiving regular therapy is not a luxury, but a necessity.
Your Wings Wellness experience will be centered around building a partnership with your therapist to create the right opportunities for positive change to occur within your body. By your investing in your own health, Wings Wellness can help you to manage chronic pain, recover from injuries, relieve muscle tension, and achieve relaxation. When you leave our studio, our goal is that you leave relaxed, restored, and renewed!
The following are steps to completing your first Wings Wellness experience:
- Set up your appointment – you may book your appointment online by clicking on the Book Now/Store tab, or by calling us to schedule via phone. If you book online, you will be able to apply a partial or full payment for your service. If you schedule over the phone, you will be asked to provide a credit card number in order to hold your appointment.
- You will receive two reminders for your appointment: one sent once your appointment has been scheduled/booked, and the second 24-hours prior (if time allows) to the email address used to book your appointment. In order to abide by our cancellation policy, you must cancel or reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment. Otherwise, you will forfeit any partial payment, or your credit card number will be charged for the full cost of the treatment.
- Complete Questionnaire – If you book your appointment online, you can complete a short online questionnaire during the process and prior to the appointment being confirmed. If you call to schedule the appointment, you will be asked questions over the phone to complete the questionnaire. In order to receive treatment from Wings Wellness, you must also complete and sign a hard copy “Client Intake Form“. If you are pregnant, you may also be asked to complete and sign an additional “Prenatal Form” before your treatment. Prior to the start of your treatment, your therapist will review your completed intake questionnaire and ask any follow-up questions related to the intake (e.g. medical history, stress levels, medications, particular areas(s) of pain or discomfort), as well as discuss what your goals are for the treatment planned for this visit.
- Set Your Goals – No two clients are alike, so we take the time needed in order to ensure that your session is specifically tailored to meet your particular goals. Your therapist will establish a base-line in terms of where your body is at this time. This will be monitored and treatment adjusted based on what your body needs and how it responds.
- Environment – At Wings Wellness, your treatment is designed for you. This includes the environment in which you receive your treatment. Prior to your session we will discuss your preferences for:
- Room temperature – we will adjust according to your preferences as possible.
- Lighting – we use a combination of candles and ambient lighting. If the room is too bright for you, we can adjust the lighting and/or provide you with a soothing eye pillow so that the light is reduced even further.
- Music – we typically play relaxing background music, unless you prefer silence. If you don’t like the music or prefer no sound at all, just let your therapist know and she will adjust as needed.
- Massage table – we have a custom massage table with extra comfortable padding. The table is heated according to your comfort level. If you prefer no heat, we can adjust.
- Massage oils/creams – We use only organic, hypoallergenic massage lotions, oils and creams. You may choose between unscented or scented lotions/oils/creams.
- Therapy Session – After you and your therapist have discussed your history and preferences, she will offer instructions around disrobing and show you where to hang or place your clothing and/or jewelry. She will then leave the room. If you are receiving table massage, please undress to your comfort level. Some clients prefer to leave on their underwear, others prefer to be completely nude. Either option is fine, since proper draping techniques will always be followed, i.e. only the body part being treated will be uncovered at any given time, ensuring that your modesty is respected and protected at all times. Chair Massage, CranioSacral Therapy, Reiki, and Reflexology are all performed with the client fully clothed, unless the treatments are being combined with other table massage services.
Your therapist will wait outside the treatment room for a few minutes as you disrobe and get underneath the sheet. She will knock on the door and ask whether you are ready. Once she has received an affirmative response from you, she will re-enter the room.
NOTE: If you are receiving massage for the first time with us, your session will begin with us conducting a thorough intake process, which will include a discussion of your goals, injuries, and health history. This will allow us to design a treatment plan for your unique needs.
Communication is encouraged between client and therapist. If the table is too warm, the room too cold, or the pressure is not as desired, please speak up.
Your therapist will inform you when the session is over. You will be completely re-covered under the sheet. Please do not rush getting off of the table. We build in a bit of extra time between clients so that you have the ability to take a moment before getting up and dressing again.
Recommendations for Self-Care – Once you are dressed and have left the treatment room, your therapist will ask for feedback on your experience, and may discuss any findings and/or make suggestions for things you can do at home to prolong the positive effects of the treatment (e.g. stretching and other self-care).
She may demonstrate to you and email some stretches that you can perform at home. She may also point out on various anatomy charts, the areas where constrictions were released and you may briefly discuss ideas on what types of regular habits or repetitive physical actions may have contributed to the areas of constriction. She may then recommend a treatment plan for you.
- Schedule Your Next Appointment – The therapeutic effects of massage are cumulative. This means the benefits and effects improve with frequency. As you are checked out from your appointment, your therapist will:
– Ask you whether you would like to schedule your next appointment based on the recommendations you received.
– Discuss and provide printed materials on client programs, if applicable (e.g., Loyalty card and Refer-a-Friend).
– Process the full payment or your remaining balance (if booked online) for your treatment.
– Send you a receipt via email.
- Experience your Relaxed, Renewed, Restored Body!
We value your trust and patronage! Thank you for choosing Wings Wellness. We look forward to partnering with you on your journey to wellness.
If you are completely new to massage therapy, please see our FAQ page for seven questions frequently asked by massage newbies.